How Will You be Remembered?
Many of our donors have given to this community through United Way for decades. If you are one of them, thank you. Clearly, you care about Southeast Missouri and the people who live here. We need you to continue to strengthen this region and help our neighbors for future generations. There are many ways you can give that will help us and may help you and your heirs. You can:
- Share a share: Give a gift of appreciated stock and you might reduce or remove the capital gains tax.
- Give from your IRA: If you are 70 1/2 or older you can donate the funds you are required by law to withdraw from your IRA and make a tax-free Qualified Charitable Distribution to UWSEMO.
- Create a will: United Way has partnered with FreeWill to provide our community with a free online tool to create a legal will. It’s an easy, free, and virtual way to complete your will, while at the same time creating a lasting legacy. Many people who create their estate plans on FreeWill choose to leave a gift to a cause they care about, and we hope you will consider doing the same for United Way of Southeast Missouri. You can create your 100% free and legal will here, along with other free options that include a medical directive. We are not given information on anyone using FreeWill without your permission. Click here to create your free, legal will.
Making a Gift of Securities
Making a gift of securities offers you the chance to support work within your community while also receiving important personal benefits. Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use.
Through a gift of appreciated stock, you receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the securities, while also helping you avoid capital gains taxes on appreciated stock. This allows you to maximize your gift.
Steps to Give
- Direct your broker or agent to transfer shares from your account into the “United Way Inc.” account at Merrill Lynch, account number 76F-02176, DTC 8862
- If you have physical possession of the stock certificate, please contact: Chris Hutson | 1371 N Mount Auburn Road Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- Notify, or have your broker notify, United Way at firstname.lastname@example.org when the transfer has been completed. In your email, please include your name, as well as the number and type of shares.
Please contact Chris Hutson at 573-339-7032 with questions about stock certificates, powers and additional paperwork, as well as notification of incoming stock transfers.
Items to Remember
- The date of the stock gift is the day the right of ownership of the stock is effectively transferred to United Way.
- The value for tax purposes is the mean between the high and low quoted selling prices on that day.
- Your gift will be acknowledged by United Way with the valuation of your gift for tax purposes.
- Always consult your personal financial or tax advisor in advance to see how a gift of securities can benefit you.
To explore any of these giving options, contact Mark Stone, Director of Market Development