5 Tips to Give More and Save More Before 2018
We remain genuinely grateful for the donations of time and treasure we receive from the thousands of people who support United Way of Southeast Missouri. You are the foundation of this organization, and together we are changing lives.
If you would benefit from a year-end charitable donation, here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
- Charitable contributions only offer tax benefits to those who itemize their tax return.
- Most publicly traded securities purchased more than a year ago that have increased in value can be donated without paying capital gains tax. The greater the appreciation, the greater the tax savings. Your tax deduction increases, because it is based on the full value of the stock, not just the gain. This means you give less to Uncle Sam and even more to your community by donating to United Way!
- We also gladly accept cash, checks and credit cards. Be sure your credit card is charged or your check is postmarked no later than December 31, 2017, to receive the deduction for the past year.
- You are welcome to designate to your favorite cause, but an unrestricted gift allows us to put your money where it is most needed.
- If you want your investment to go to a specific cause, ask your financial advisor about creating a Donor Advised Fund (DAF). This allows you to take an immediate deduction, but gives you more time to decide how you want to direct your investment. If you don’t have a financial advisor, please contact me; we have several members on our Finance Committee who can help create a DAF that will benefit you and the people of Southeast Missouri.
Whether you Give, Advocate or Volunteer, many thanks to everyone who supports our community. The impact we make with our partner agencies and programs could not happen without your help. We wish you a 2018 full of health and prosperity.